Tuesday 3 September 2013

August Book Reviews



Another of those modern classics that I felt I should read... but much like The Great Gatsby I got to the end and thought... why??? Yes I finished it but I can't tell you what happened because it didn't compute.

Plath's style of writing is nothing to sneer at but the story was so erratic... much like the protagonist. I found myself working back trying to work out who characters are that popped up in different places. All in all way too much effort for not much reward, maybe I should let classics pass me by.










A recommendation from a friend. Lost at Sea is a collection of Ronson's more eccentric stories from his Guardian column. There are some weird and wonderful unique individuals alive in the world and Ronson has a met a few. 


Episodes include attending a UFO conference with Robbie Williams and a cruise with psychic Sylvia Browne. He spends time with indigo children, attends an alpha course to find out if it's a form of brain washing and patrols Seattle streets with Phoenix Jones; a real life superhero. 


The tales he weaves of the world around us is at times so surreal  you can't help but believe that we live in a wonderful world.





Ever since I found out Mark Watson was a novelist as well as a pretty kick ass comedian I've been meaning to read one of his novels and I finally found a gap in the schedule.

Dominic is a photographer who has spent his whole life snapping other people's perfect days. The youngest of three children and by all accounts the most ignored he lives his life in the shadows whilst ignoring the knot in his stomach... a dark secret he can share with no one but his sister for fear of judgement and ostracism. There is subtle humour in Watson's style and his characters are immediately likeable - will definitely be delving into another soon. 



 I love Lisa Jewell and when I found a book in her back catalogue that had passed me by I got quite over excited! This may be partly due to the fact that it's set in South East London where I'm originally from and I read it on the lead up to a visit home but the thing I love about Jewell's writing is that she manages to write characters with whom you want to go out for dinner with, or for a pint down the local.

The London family are an average family, two parents, three boys all grown up but they all have their secrets to carry. When Gervase starts lodging at the London's home things start to change. Eldest son Tony is divorced, caught up with work, jealous of his younger brother who has a successful writing career and is in the midst of a whirlwind romance with a beautiful older woman. But when the youngest London, Ned, comes home from Australia (running away from his own mistakes) and the family is complete Gervase starts to work his magic.



I felt it was a poignant moment to read the lovely original Bridget Jones and came to the conclusion that Helen fielding is every woman! True, gritty, absolutely hilarious , it's no wonder Bridget has found a place in hearts of women all over the globe! I don' t think I need to say anything else really... suffice to say if you haven't read it yet... you're missing out!







The reading group choice for the Summer... because you need the whole Summer! Now I've never particularly got on with Dickens which is why two weeks into reading it I have only got a hundred pages into this hefty tome! I blame Hard Times at AS and A Level!

So I shall be persevering and hopefully it will make a future entry at some point - if somehow it never makes it back into the book reviews you'll know I've given up and you can judge me as you see fit! 

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment